Wednesday, July 04, 2012

When I was a Young Man

Bralley kids Christmas Card 1954 by Seeking Tao
Bralley kids Christmas Card 1954, a photo by Seeking Tao on Flickr.

This morning as I sat to meditate, or simply just to be, since I had no intention to even close my eyes,  my body seemed to want to settle and I thought I’d give that a chance.
To my surprise, my mind became filled with these old Biff Rose lyrics:

When I was a young man
I ran away from home
I went to join the circus
I went to see the cotton candy world
And make me lots of money
On my own
For Molly oh my pretty Molly
She's waitin' all alone
Someday soon I will return to her…

Well, he never did, not in the song.  (Please listen to the whole song)
But, yesterday, my brother "made him lots of money" and retired.   And I find it very moving to see the broad sweep of his story: the searching, seeking, and the coming home.  His son-in-law said, “Woo Hoo! Hard work does pay off!”  But, the journey wasn’t all about the money.  It is not even always couched in terms of money.  The journey was and is about love.
We all leave home and join the circus, in one way or another, hoping to prove our worth, hoping to prove to ourself and others that we have earned and deserve love.  Some of us eventually make it home and others seem to get lost along the way.

It starts out all for Molly, in her many forms: parent, partner, child, friends, and self.  What an amazing discovery to realize, “She loved me all along.”  At least, that is one thing I have learned through sharing in my brother’s journey.  It’s what I’m learning in my own rather cash strapped journey.

Real love is unconditional.  That's the first lesson I learned from my brother. (What better definition for the very word - my brother.)  Love is simply given, not just by God or Spirit, but often by those around us.  It seems we’re always given a second chance.  And we’ll need it! Because, apparently, we have to make the journey and hopefully we’ll come full circle. 

And there are songs along the way that say it better than the words.  In my meditation there was another lyric preceding the words from Molly.  That tune is lost in the fuzziness of past transcendence.  But, perhaps they were from this song:


And yes, I know this is incredibly and unrepentedly "SO the 60's" ... let's just call it roots :)

3 comments:

Eve Bralley said...

This is so sweet Patty. I am tearing up. sweet sweetness. I love you. Thanks for this.

Pincushion said...

what a poignant heartfelt post..'it seems we all get a second chance...'..it made me think! And you are right..its as if the cosmos conspires to give you what you want..(In Paulo Coelho's words)..or rather to make you happy! we get just what's right for us..even though perhaps we might not realise it at that point...

Love dearest Pat
Anjali (Pincushion)

Pat Bralley said...

Hi Anjali - nice to see you!! hope you are well... bet you are :)